Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Filigree - Self Portrait

'Filigree' 
5 x 7 inches, oil on panel


I'm part of a small group of artists that have banded together as a sort of peer mentoring group. We talk about our goals, our vision for our work, share business ideas, and challenge each other. It's full of awesomeness. These women are incredible and I'm so honored to be part of their group. :) 

So we had a painting challenge. It was to paint a self portrait that was a true reflection of you. I kind of suck at that. I've painted myself before, and every time it has been a very uncomfortable experience for me. I don't like looking at myself. I hate drawing attention to myself. In a crowd or group of people I prefer to hide, unseen and unnoticed. 

And a self portrait is basically the opposite of all of those things. It's all about ME. I mean, there's really nowhere else to look. Unless you like grey backgrounds, and if you do then. . . awesome.You've come to the right place. But, I digress.

My way around this is to typically hide part of my face in some way. Like the filigree mask above, or like this: 

Or like this:


So how then, was I to paint a self portrait that was a true representation of myself? I did what I felt most comfortable with. A partially hidden version of me. Again. Because I do think this is really how I am. I could go on and try to think of something really meaningful to say about why I paint myself this way. But I won't.

Because there is no real deep meaning to it. I just prefer to be in the background, instead of the spotlight and that alone says SO much about who I really am that there really isn't anything else to say.

17 comments:

  1. Wow! All the self portraits are wonderful! I used to believe that the real personality lies in the eyes. But you have communicated so much intensity in each of the paintings whether the eyes are visible or not! Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it makes your portraits more intriguing.
    Two other bloggers self portraits stick in my head too - one was a woman wearing a wide brimmed hat and her head was tilted down so you could only see her from the nose down. The other, she was drinking from a cup, face on, so you could only see her eyes. If they had been full portraits, perhaps I wouldn't have remembered them, so I think it's a good thing to do it like this. If you are doing it for that reason, then great! But if it's through lack of self confidence then all I can say is 'WHAAAAAT???' Lol! Your painting is beautiful - just as the face is behind the mask! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SO FANTASTIC Crystal...Filigree is amazing!! Wonderful self-portraits..they're you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see artists' self-portraits, there's such beauty in being allowed to peek beyond the walls.

    All three are amazing on their own and I loved the red one first time I saw it but this latest one is gorgeous Crystal, I can see so much of you on that hair too, full of color energy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mornin' Crystal, I hope your day is as special as you are!
    Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Filigree" is gorgeous!!! The colors are perfect - I think they contribute to your sense of not being in the spotlight. I loved this post, and found your insights fascinating. Thank you for sharing them, Crystal. XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a similarity here. I also love the background and dont like the spot light much. :)
    And I think its a fab self portrait. When I see this I want to come and give you a hug. Pure awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, very clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Crystal! I love Filigree and the other two as well. You have painted from the heart...the real you!! That's what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all of them...you are so very talented....always in the spotlight where your art is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite of your work so far, because I feel that it is real and honest, and .. so beautiful... keep keep keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a stellar job in both the concept and the explanation. It is your authentic self, not a thing wrong with not being one to demand centre stage, goodness what would the world be like if we all were outgoing, look at me people! Love what you've done, beautiful all, including the model :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of them are great. Your style is evident. My favorite from another post, though, is Hoodie. Maybe because I have all boys and I just see a boy there. The glow in your portraits is very eye catching and pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I found this very interesting and I love them all (especially the one with your baby - it has a very protective feel) but I also smile whenever I look at the one you did where you screwed up your courage and painted yourself head on. You're smiling and I think had a black & white striped top on. I LOVE that painting. Joy just comes out of you. Great work my friend. No easy task!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A very interesting post -- self portraits are difficult introspections and also may be a bit self centered in a strange way, no? I see your many different traits in each of them - fierce loving Mom, the shy woman, and an adventurous one but with an mask to hide behind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate self portraits. I always want to make myself look better than the reality. Probably because my self-esteem is not so good! Your work is just beautiful as always. Loved the one with the mask.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails