Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Edith

'Edith' 
SOLD 
12 x 16 inches, oil on gessobord
 
First of all let me just say that 12 x 16 inches is MUCH larger than 5 x 7. Yes, I realize that many of you are saying in your very best Severus Snape/Alan Rickman voice: "OB-viously." 
 
 

I knew that, but, knowing and applying one's knowledge are two vastly different things. Her face alone took me several days to paint, and I must say that I'm very happy with how she turned out. 
 
Painting so many small paintings, I've gotten used to painting a face in one sitting. That took me by surprise with this painting at first, but it was also very good for me I think. For all the benefits of daily painting (of which there are many) there is also something (or many things, whatever) to be said for slowing down and taking your time with a painting. 

This is the first in a series of portraits I've been commissioned to paint as part of a corporate installation. Also, this one is the smallest size. O-o. 
 
This will require epic amounts of cookie dough and Supernatural episodes. I'm totally up for this challenge. :) 
 
Huzzah!! 
 
Listening to: Grinnin in Your Face by ZZ Ward
Reading: Nothing :(. Ain't nobody got time for that (right now anyways. Life is hectic these days). 
Snacking on: honey mustard pretzels
Watching: Alphas
Drinking: diet coke


17 comments:

  1. Oh Crystal, she's absolutely beautiful..you should be so pleased with this portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Edith" is luminous! Such a great job on this, I really look forward to seeing the rest of your commissions as you complete them. *epic amounts of cookie dough* haha. You are one busy woman, I understand! Your client must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edith has come out really well, you should be proud of it!Congrats and good luck for your project:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is just exquisite!!! Her face is glowing - so alive! I can't wait to see them all as you complete them. This is the perfect commission for you :0)
    Hmm... cookie dough to me is like Marmite is to you... Yuk! Uncooked biscuit isn't it? Why would anyone want to eat a biscuit before it has been in the oven?? The mind boggles! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Crystal.
    I love the portrait! What a beautiful, soulful and sweet face. And I love the larger format!!! Good for you for going larger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow.. You are a genius.. :) I feel I just could go in and hug her.
    And BTW I did not say the Alan Rickman OB-viously because I also experience the same when I paint a full sheet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a challenge! and you are growing with each one, this is beautiful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfection, as usual, my friend! Love the Snape gif!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crystal, you never cease to amaze me! This is gorgeously painted - so full of emotion and story, and just completely captivating. I seriously don't know how you do it, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thrilled for you my friend, and I am exploring the slowing down process myself these days. I do believe there are many great things to be discovered as we ease more slowing into and through a work. Great stuff! She is just so compelling

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the corporate installation! That's great. :) This is lovely -- conveys a lot of emotion. I also am really liking your little sculptures. It looks like you're doing well with those. Yippee for you and all these new adventures! :) Best -- Kara

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing as always my friend! And congratulations on the corporate installation! I cannot WAIT to see it completed! I too am coming to terms with larger canvases and finding it a challenge and a. Eed for patience, of which I have almost none.

    This portrait is stunning! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was sposed to be "a need for"...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Guvvnah! I'm back again (again) Life is keeping me too busy to blog.

    Just love this one - such a classic, you are so clever. I gravitate to 14 x 12 as I bought a batch cheap on painting day #1 and have made it my standard(ish) I'm on painting #34 now. Are you still keeping count of your oil paintings?

    Great news on the corporate commission, congratulations and give yourself a double Huzzah! I love it when my friends are doing well ... gives me a reason to whistle happy tunes!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Big or not it still looks amazing Crystal, and I can't wait to see the larger pieces of this new series, there's something really exciting about painting large.
    Best of luck with these commissions, though you don't need it, huzzah!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gobsmackingly brilliant!I just LOVE that bright pink dress she is wearing - that must've been fun to paint! And the way you have reflected the colour in her skin is just beautiful :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails